Nonimmigrant Visa Petitions and U.S. Visitor Visa Types

Nonimmigrant Visa Petitions and U.S. Visitor Visa Types

U.S. Visitor Visa Types: Nonimmigrant Visa Petitions, including B, E, F, H-1B, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, J, K, L, M, O, P, Q, R and TN

Nonimmigrants are persons coming to the United States for a temporary period of time. Nearly the entire alphabet has been used to designate different nonimmigrant classifications. The Chandler Law Firm, LLC is experienced and familiar with all of these classifications. U.S. visitor visa types include:

B-1/B-2 Visitors

B-1 visitors enter the U.S. for business purposes, and B-2 visitors enter for pleasure. Both types of visitors typically are admitted for a period of 6 months.

Visitors from certain countries may also enter under the Visa Waiver Program. Those entering under the Visa Waiver Program are admitted for only 90 days.

Learn more about Visitors for Business and Pleasure: B-1, B-2, and Visa Waiver (“ESTA”)

“E” Treaty Traders and Treaty Investors

Persons who are citizens of countries with which the United States has the requisite treaty may enter the U.S. based on making either a significant investment in the U.S. or carrying on substantial trade.

“F” Students

Foreign students may study in the U.S. but must comply with detailed regulations. As long as they remain in compliance with these regulations, they typically may remain in the U.S. until completion of their program of study and often qualify for a period of practical training either during or after their course of study.

H-1B Specialty Occupation Workers

H-1B workers generally must possess bachelor’s degrees or establish that their experience equates to a bachelor’s degree. They must be offered a job in a field related to their course of study. There is an annual cap on the number of H-1Bs that may be approved.

Learn more about H-1B Specialty Occupation Workers Visas

H-2A and H-2B

H-2A and H-2B workers come to fill temporary labor needs of U.S. employers. Before employers may petition for foreign H-2A and H-2B workers, they must recruit for U.S. workers.

H-3 Trainees

H-3 trainees enter the U.S. to gain training which is unavailable in their home countries. The employer/trainer must submit a detailed training program for approval by Citizenship and Immigration Services (“CIS”).

J Exchange Visitors

J exchange visitors may enter the U.S. in a variety of capacities, including as students, researchers, professors and trainees. Some “J”s must return to their home country, or country of last residence, before they may change to another nonimmigrant status or permanent residency.

K Fiancés and Spouses of United States Citizens

The “K” visas allow fiancés and spouses and their children to enter the U.S. to join U.S. citizen fiancés and spouses.

Learn more about Family-Sponsored Immigration: Spouses and Fiancés of United States Citizens.

L Intra-Company Transferees

The “L” visa is used by certain employees of multi-national corporations. It allows executives, managers and persons with specialized knowledge to enter the U.S. to work for a company affiliated with the overseas employer.

M Vocational Students

The “M” visa is for persons coming to the U.S. to attend vocational schools.

O Extraordinary Ability

Persons working in certain fields, who can prove that they have extraordinary ability, may qualify for “O” status. To qualify for “O” status, most persons need to produce extensive documentation of accomplishments and acclaim.

P Performers and Athletes

This category is for athletes who compete individually or as part of a team at an internationally-recognized level and for members of an entertainment group that has been internationally recognized for a sustained period of time.

Q Cultural Exchange

Employers having a program in place to integrate persons from another culture into their workplace may petition for a “Q” visa.

R Religious Workers

Three types of religious workers are eligible to enter the U.S. in R status. They include ministers, religious professionals and religious workers. The organizations they come to work for must be approved or approvable by the IRS for 501(c)(3) status.

TN (Trade NAFTA)

Canadian and Mexican citizens with occupations and credentials listed in the North American Free Trade Agreement may qualify for TN status. The TN status is sometimes a good alternative to H-1B status, particularly because there is no limit to the number of TNs that may be approved annually.

If you have questions about U.S. visitor visa types or nonimmigrant visa petitions, contact a professional immigration law firm.