How to Become a United States Citizen – The Naturalization Process

If you’re wondering how to become a United States citizen, Chandler Law Firm, LLC can help. Chandler Law Firm, LLC represents many individuals in the process of naturalizing; and we are proud of the hundreds of loyal U.S. citizens we have assisted. We can help you apply for citizenship. Many of our naturalization clients have worked with us for years – through the processes of becoming nonimmigrants and then lawful permanent residents – until they eventually are able to become an American citizen.

1)      Are you already a citizen?

Before applying for United States citizenship, one should determine whether he or she might already be a citizen.  Citizenship may have been passed down from a relative who is or was a citizen.  It is not usually necessary that the relative be currently living in the U.S. or even be living at all; and the relative may have acquired citizenship through naturalization rather than birth.  Requirements for passing citizenship to a relative have changed many times over the last hundred years.

It is important, therefore, to consult a reputable immigration attorney to determine whether citizenship status may have been passed on.

2)      If the person wanting citizenship determines that he or she will need to apply for naturalization, several requirements must be met.  Most applicants must meet the following requirements:

  1. Must be at least 18 years old;
  2. Must be a lawful permanent resident for at least 5 years;
  3. Must have resided continuously in the U.S. for 5 years and been physically present in the U.S. for at least half of that time;
  4. Must have resided in the state where the application is filed for at least three months;
  5. Must be determined to be a person of good moral character;
  6. Must demonstrate knowledge of the English language and basic United States history and government.

If the naturalization applicant meets all requirements, he or she will take an Oath of Allegiance to the United States, typically administered by USCIS.  If a name change is requested by the applicant, the oath will be administered by a federal court.

 Still have questions about how to become a United States Citizen? Contact a professional immigration attorney.